Monday, June 25, 2012

So I fell asleep after reading Chapter 6 last Friday and took off for Saturday and Sunday so I am back today for Day 15! 

Today's activity was to think through how your current resume sells you (that's when I fell asleep lol I was still thinking over Day 14 too).  The question is "does it position you for what you want to continue doing, or is it just a historical overview of what you've done?"

Here is my current resume. I modified it to protect my privacy. 

Sophia Sizemore
(contact info removed for privacy's sake)
Resume

Objective:  To further my teaching career by applying a multi-level approach to language acquisition.  I am creative and systematic in my approach to language acquisition.  I love using languages to further communication. 

Qualifications:
Experience in an international classroom;  a semester abroad as a grammar student in France as well as a semester abroad at a university level in Spain.
Adult management skills gained while Assistant Director for Summer Program at Pre-School
Experience teaching about language through an introduction to Spanish program I created that was piloted as an after-school elective and was later adopted as part of the morning curriculum
2+ years experience in organizing weekly field trips

Other Skills
Experience in teaching to a class of students at varying skill levels
Tutoring experience in Spelling, Spanish, and Math
Creating and submitting lesson plans
Speaking Spanish on a good level as well as moderate French
Willing to learn other languages

TEACHING EXPERIENCE
January 2008-May 2012

EDUCATION
Bachelor of Arts with distinction Spanish major; French minor

OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
(removed for privacy's sake)

I was originally just going to post my whole resume but then I got nervous with all my personal info on it so I modified it but apart from that, this is what my resume looks like.  I think it sells me for what I'm trying to do, but I did speak recently with a free career counselor at a community college here and she said that it was too general.  I think this resume is true to me, but it has not produced any interviews for me so far.

I think a functional resume with a chronological section will probably work best for me.  That seems to be what I have now, and hopefully I can tweak it to be even better than it is now.  It's probably my job searching process and lack of owning my dreams and passions that is not working, not just the resume part.

Well that's all for tonight.  See you all tomorrow! 

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work, Sophia. Did you use some of the templates from the book for a guide?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! No I actually just posted my current resume, the one I had from before without actually looking at the templates. I did use the templates to create my first resume from when I read the book the first time. I actually forgot about the templates so maybe I can take a look at them and use them when I modify my resume.

    ReplyDelete